Best Blogs of 2016

Apply Now                              Schedule a Visit                         Request Information

As we're about to enter a new year, the Choctawk team wanted to take a second to look back on all we've published this year. So, here are our top ten blogs of 2016. 

(Click on the title to read the blog.)

12 Times the Clock Tower Looked Flawless

"The Clock Tower which sits upon Nelson Hall is the icon for Mississippi College. Sure, campus has the Kugel and the Arches, but nothing compares to our Clock Tower, which chimes on the hour and plays beloved hymns. Not only does the Clock Tower ring throughout campus letting its students know they're late to class, but it also looks amazing in any condition or angle. Don't believe me? Check out these twelve times the Clock Tower looked flawless."

Busy is Not a Badge of Honor

"In my three and a half years as an MC student, I've noticed a lot of things about our campus' culture. We have our fashion trends and popular bands and strange (but understandable) obsession with Whataburger. We have our coffee-date habits and road trip plans. And I know that these are only a few of the things that make MC what it is. Yet, in the midst of all of these things that leave us refreshed and laughing, we have a habit of busyness that seems to dictate how we make our schedules."

An Introvert's Guide to Orientation

"I had anticipated my life at MC starting for what felt like forever and orientation was the official start of my chapter as a choctaw. It didn't feel real, but it definitely felt a little scary. I knew orientation would be fun, but there was one thing that could keep me from making friends and enjoying my weekend: I'm an introvert."

Mississippi 101

"When you commit to Mississippi College, you're also committing to something else--the great state of Mississippi. From the Mississippi Gulf Coast (my home region!) to the Northern Hills, Mississippi is full of people worth meeting, food worth eating, and sights worth seeing. Here are my suggestions to receive the Mississippi experience."

You Aren't Alone in This

"I vividly remember the first time I visited the fourth floor of Alumni Hall. I was nervous and scared, but I wasn't alone. A friend sat with me and encouraged me that I was brave for being there. She was right and now almost a year later, I'm on the fourth floor of Alumni every other week to see my counselor at the Counseling Center (pro tip: good friends are ones that love you enough to force you to take care of yourself). I could give you so many words about why everyone should go to counseling, but here's a few of the reasons why counseling is always a good idea for college students."

The Gospel According to Justin Bieber

"It's an exciting time for Beliebers that are also believers, because Justin met Jesus and he's no longer living his life for himself, but for the One that gave him purpose (see what I did there?). His new album has a few jewels in it; songs containing nuggets of truth about our Creator that you wouldn't expect to hear when listening to Justin Bieber. But, like a lot of new believers, including myself eight years ago, he got some things wrong. Today I'm here to talk those things out."

My GPA: A Story of Redemption

"Once upon a time, I came to college as an overly confident, lazy, and mediocre student who had never had to try too hard in school. I was quickly overwhelmed by college academics, unsure of how to navigate the heavy course load and high expectations. I tried harder in school than I ever had, but it still didn't seem to be enough. At the end of my sophomore year, I was exhausted and discouraged. I had a lower GPA than I ever wanted and I had no idea what to do."

Let's Talk About It- Gender Inequality

"This isn't about societal gender roles. This isn't even about Biblical gender roles. This is about women being valued as less than men, a view that is clearly contradictory to the way Jesus interacted with women. It's about a woman wanting to be valued for her intellect, ambition, and passion, not her body. It's about Christians protecting the rights of all who have been made in the image of God. "

If I Could Do It Again Series

Read perspectives by Mary, Hannah, or Paige

"Facebook memories have been hitting me hard recently. With less than nine months left at Mississippi College, I am constantly being reminded of the best memories from the past three years, and I would be lying if I said that part of me wasn't wishing that I could go back to being a freshman. I would also be lying if I told you that these memories from my time at MC don't make me tear up a little." 
-From Mary's Perspective

Friends, 2016 has been a great year for the Choctawk. Thanks for reading, and we look forward to writing even more in the next year. 

Happy New Year from the Choctawk team. 

Ashton
New Years Resolution: Spend less time on Netflix & more time with books. Also, don't be homeless post-grad.