Home for the Holidays: Those Inevitable Questions

Apply Now                              Schedule a Visit                         Request Information

It's that time of the year again. The temperature is dropping and we all have trees in our living rooms and we're mentally preparing ourselves to be asked a million questions by all of our relatives. You know, those questions...

Are you dating anyone?
How are your grades?
What's your major now? Are you sure that'll get you a good job? 
I saw a picture of you and that boy. Is that your boyfriend? Why not?
What are your plans for after graduation? You're going to get a job, right?

xoevmudr3uq-wesley-tingey (1).jpg

I think these questions are inevitable. Whether they come from your family, or, like I've experienced today, your dentist, the questions are coming. Today, my friends, I'm here to talk about how to take them with grace. 

Prepare Yourself
You know the questions are coming, so go ahead and get your answers in line. If you don't have post-grad plans, prepare an answer to that question that well, won't lead to other questions. 

Remember the Heart Behind The Questions
Though the questions may be annoying, they ask because they care. Today I went to the dentist and saw people that have known me as long as I've had teeth. They asked a lot about my life because they care about me. Though the questions are repetitive and we're tired of answering them, if we are able to see them for what they are-- a way that people show us that they love us-- then it'll make answering them a little easier.

Be Confident, Be Secure
Confidence is key here, friends. It's no surprise that sometimes a grandparent or aunt or random-mom-of-childhood-friend won't understand why we make the decisions that we do. Go into these conversations with your identity in tact, feeling secure about who you are and where you are in life. If you're secure, you'll be able to answer the questions confidently, and it won't feel so bad when your great aunt makes that questioning face when you tell her that you aren't going to be a doctor. 

Take Deep Breaths
It's hard, I know. Take deep breaths and make it through. If nothing else, you'll walk away with a good story to tell, and maybe even something funny to tweet about.

In the end, we know that these questions are coming. They're a part of being our age, but we don't have to dread them. This holiday season, let's answer these questions with grace and honesty. 

Here's to the never ending questions, and the family that loves us enough to ask.

Ashton
English Major that doesn't want to teach