When You Don't Have Traditions

Apply Now                              Schedule a Visit                         Request Information

The holidays are different for everyone. For a lot of people, they're the highlight of the year. Their time is spent practicing traditions, singing Christmas music, and celebrating with friends and family. Then, there are the people like me, who only celebrate Christmas on December 25th. My family doesn't have any traditions, nor am I the biggest fan of Christmas music or the whole ugly sweater thing. The holidays look different for me, and for a long time I thought that was a bad thing. In the age of social media, I've found myself getting caught up in a game of comparison, thinking of my holidays season as less-than because I don't have any traditions to look forward to, let alone any Christmas cheer to spread around. 

Today, this blog is for those of us that don't have any traditions. I imagine that I'm not alone in the comparison game. I want to share with y'all the ways I've learned to combat the temptation of the comparison game and explore ways to celebrate the holidays when you don't have any traditions to look forward to. 

Stay Off Social Media
Social media can be great, but it can also set us up to compare our lives to other people's. On holidays, I find myself feeling less-than after I scroll through Facebook or Instagram. If you ever find yourself doing the same, it would probably be wise to avoid social media for a few days.  

Create Traditions
If you don't have traditions, make some new ones! When I got to college, my best friends from high school and I started forming traditions together to help us stay close. Now, I look forward to those traditions every Christmas. Creating traditions can be as simple as baking sugar cookies as a family or watching a Christmas movie together. Talk to your friends and family, see what they would look forward to, and start making some traditions!

Be Present Where You Are
When our holidays don't look Instagram-perfect, it's easy to check out. If we don't have traditions, why do we need to be present? Well, because being present is important. Even if you don't have traditions, it's important for you to be present with your family. Make an effort to be present with your family; put your phone down, sit in the family room, and enjoy where you are. You may not have traditions, but time with your family is still important. 

Remember What Christmas is All About
I'm not trying to go all "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" on you, but it's true. In the midst of America's version of Christmas, it's easy to forget what this season is all about. Even if you don't have traditions to look forward to, we can all celebrate our coming King. Look into advent devotionals and spend time in the Word, maybe even inviting your family to join you, and remember the greatness of our Savior. 

If you don't have traditions, you can still have a great holiday season. I'm praying that this year is your best Christmas yet. Merry Christmas, friends. 

Ashton
Holiday favorites: Penny & Sparrow's Christmas album, sugar cookies, & Christmas lights