Give Thanks

Apply Now                              Schedule a Visit                         Request Information

We are almost a week away from Thanksgiving. I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to a break from the constant busyness of class and work, to time with family, and to a good meal. This year my family is traveling to North Carolina to be with my sister, and I think we're having a goose instead of turkey. Although I'm looking forward to what appears to be turning into a Charles Dickens themed Thanksgiving, I've also spent a lot of this month reflecting on what I should be giving thanks for. 

Giving thanks is not easy, especially when things aren't going our way. When times are going well, I find that it's a lot easier to give thanks for the wonderful events in my life. But what happens when life feels like it's caving in? Maybe a family member is sick; maybe you've lost your job; maybe your application has been rejected. Despite all the disappointment, heartache, and brokenness in the world, I want to encourage you to continually give thanks. 

Praise the Lord! Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, for His steadfast love endures forever!
— Psalm 106:1

That's something no one wants to hear when they're going through a hard time. Believe me, I know. But if we take the time to reflect on our lives, it becomes apparent that there are things to be thankful for in so many places. Whether our family, friends, a particularly beautiful day, or your favorite song coming on the radio, life is full of people and things that play a role in our lives, enriching them, giving us something to be thankful for. 

Not everything is going to go your way. (Obviously, right?) This doesn't give us an excuse to neglect an action that can open our eyes to the daily blessings we receive. So let's give thanks. Tell the people you love that you're thankful for them. Point out a particularly pleasant moment of your day. Give thanks to the Lord, for His love endures forever. 

-Mary "I'm thankful that my roommate cooked dinner tonight" Rogers