Learning How to Ask for Help

Apply Now                              Schedule a Visit                         Request Information

Lately in the Tower, the bloggers have been talking a lot about the importance of self-care. We're great at filling up our planners but not so great at taking care of ourselves. Realizing that we can't do it all is one thing, but that realization needs to lead to action. I've gotten better at admitting that I'm struggling, but often I'm still hesitant to seek out help from others. In the pursuit of a healthier life, we need to learn how to ask for help.

My sophomore year my grades suffered because I didn't know how to properly study. I went to friends who were doing well in those classes and they were able to help me study. I also got help from tutors. Many departments on campus have upperclassmen tutors available for free. I was also looking for a job and thanks to the guidance of MC's Career Services department (which is also free yay), I got my job here at the Choctawk. Free tutoring and free career guidance are just a few of the awesome services that MC provides. Take advantage of them.

In the spring of my sophomore year (wow so much happened sophomore year), I was struggling in an upper level writing class. I started taking my papers to the Writing Center, and each time my writing got stronger. For the rest of the semester, I went to the WC for every paper I had. I became a better and more confident writer once I asked for help with my papers.

Maybe you've got the studying thing down but are struggling in friendships, relationships, or other parts of life. It's easy to let your mental health fall through the cracks in the midst of everything else you're doing. A year ago I started going to counseling (which is free at MC) and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Nothing that I've shared with you today will help if you aren't taking care of you.

Everything I've shared with you today is still very much in process for me. I'm learning that asking for help isn't a sign of weakness. It's a sign of strength. It takes strength and humility to admit that you can't do something on your own, no matter how big or small it is. Be honest with yourself and the people around you. We are broken people who can't be good at everything. That's ok. Let those around you give you grace (and give some of it to yourself). None of us can be all of the things, but we can be there for each other in the hard stuff. Let's learn together.

-- Emma
tutor, musician, friend.