Calling All the Choctaws Home

I consider a few different places to be my “home:” where my wife and I currently live, my hometown where my parents live, and Mississippi College. When I travel back to Clinton, I still feel the rush of excitement when I pull up to the red light on Springridge road and see the beautiful campus rise across the horizon. When I see Mississippi College, I see a place that I still consider home. I might live in Nashville, but a huge part of my heart is still at MC.

Where we love is home—
home that our feet may leave,
but not our hearts.
— Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr

Even though I’ve been out of college for a few years, the culture and family-aspect of MC still follows me everywhere I go. Just the other day, in a Nashville-area grocery store, another MC-Alumni stopped and commented on my Mississippi College car tag. A few co-workers of mine are also alumni, and we talk about the happenings of our time at MC often. These are all people that I didn't know in college, but once we made the “MC Connection,” they felt like family. 

My love of Mississippi College goes far beyond your average college experience. It gave me so much. I learned leadership lessons that help propel me in my current career. I made life-changing and real friendships there. I grew in my faith more than I ever had in my life up to that point. Most importantly, I developed a friendship, dated, and married my wife at Mississippi College. (We got married in Provine Chapel—it was both of our dreams as alumni!) Mississippi College is what made me who I am today, and because of its influence, I am still growing and learning because of the passions and desires MC gave me. 

Moving 6 hours away from MC and our local MC family after college for our careers was a tough move for me and my wife. We travel back to MC’s campus as much as we can.  We even got married on the campus last year! Several times, I’ve just walked along the quad reminiscing on my college experience and praising God for everything he did through the university in my life.

When I go back to MC, I am not just returning back to a school. I am returning home.  

-Micheal Walley
Alumni