Thrifty Travel

Apply Now                                        Schedule a Visit                               Request Information

I have been bitten by the travel bug. This past spring, I traveled to London with MC's Study Abroad Program . You can read about my adventures here.  This trip was my first time to experience a new culture, and I'm now obsessed with travel. No longer am I content with sitting in my dorm room watching Netflix, for I crave adventure. 

However, I am a college student, and the future is coming. Therefore, I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on flights, hotels, and adventures, which can be tough, but luckily, there are ways to travel on a budget. It just takes planning, patience, and sacrifice. 

Planning 

There are several websites and programs that are designed to give you the cheapest options for your travel. Use Skyscanner to find cheap flights to your destination. Research the place you want to go to, and find their "off-season" for travel. This will give you cheaper flights and lodging prices. Meet generous locals through Couch Surfing and experience what it truly is like living in your chosen destination. 

If you're travelling outside of the country, invest in an International Student Identity Card, which will give you discounts on certain activities, like museum visits. Research the benefits in your country before going. 

These are only a few options in the planning stage to help you save money. There are other options, such as volunteering in return for a place to stay or applying for scholarships to fund your travel. Start a Google search and make your dreams come true!

Patience 

I know that you want to pack your bags and run to the airport right this moment, but let me encourage you to wait. Don't spend money that you don't have. Decide where you want to go, have patience, and save. Take a percentage from each of your paychecks and add it to your travel fund! Overtime, with dedication and patience, this travel fund will grow, and you will be able to travel without worrying about paying the bills or over-drafting your bank account. 

Sacrifice 

Sacrifice is two-fold when it comes to travelling.

First, there's sacrificing to reach your goal of travelling. If you want to travel to France this summer, that's wonderful, but it is not going to be easy. You're going to have to sacrifice eating out three times a week or indulging in that sale at J. Crew. Believe me, it will be completely worth it. 

The second type of sacrifice a bit grander. Sure, you want to travel to these grand places across the world, but you and I have school, work, friends, and family that need attention. Those larger trips may take a while to come to fruition. Keep your itch for travelling under control by taking smaller trips.

Take friends, split gas and hotel rooms, and explore a new city for the weekend. New Orleans, Nashville, Memphis, and Birmingham are favorite weekend destinations here at MC. Below are some photos of my recent trip to Memphis, TN. 

IMG_5533.JPG

Adventure is out there. Whether you travel 30 minutes, 3 hours, or 3,000 miles away, you will discover new places to love. Travel is expensive, but not impossible. Plan ahead, be patient, and make sacrifices to achieve your travel goals. 

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel only read one page." -Augustine of Hippo