Hello, It's Andrew here with a brief pros and cons list about the college search process. I know it can be a scary time, but the more prepared you are, the better you'll feel about your decision. Hopefully, this blog will serve to remind you of a few thing you need to do to complete the college search process and encourage you to do them well!
- This decision is timebound: Every decision has a deadline. (Don't worry too much: I decided in April of my Senior year.)
- This process is difficult and contains a heavy workload. This season of life necessitates a balance between finishing high school and applying for college and scholarships. Don't be overwhelmed by (Pro-tip from Drew: View college/ scholarship applications as Opportunities, not Obligations. This is your chance to shine! Perspective matters.)
- This season of life is bittersweet. It's sad to leave high school. You've invested time and effort into school and it will be hard to say goodbye. But like my mom likes to say, "The future's so bright, I've got to wear shades!" (High school was fun, but trust me, it gets wayyy better!)
- We're pulling for you! Know that the Admissions staff wants what is best for you, whether that be MC or another school. We trust that God is sovereign and will watch over you wherever you go. The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand. Psalm 37: 23-24
- You have opportunities to get to know MC!
- This semester, MC will be travelling to the Gulf Coast, Hattiesburg, Birmingham, and Memphis to host area receptions. This is your chance to meet with MC people in a formal setting. Basically, wear nice clothes, eat nice food, and chill with nice people. #MContheRoad
- We'll also be hosting a Preview Day this Spring! This is a chance for you to come to our beautiful campus and experience the Choctaw Lifestyle firsthand. Stay tuned for more information!
- And, as always, you can set up a private visit with an Admissions Counselor. You'll come out to campus, take a tour, maybe sit in on a class, and get the inside scoop on MC. Sign up here!
- In the end, it's your decision. Sure, there are influencing factors, but you don't have to attend a school just because someone says you should. You have a choice. That's why it's a decision. This is both reaffirming and frightening, but much of life involves choices, and college is a great part of life.
Here are some closing thoughts: Have fun at the end of your high school career. Live life to the fullest. Trust in the Lord. Don't be afraid. Be yourself.
Until next time,
Andrew, Choctaw, Chocolate Milk Fan, Cheetos are better when they're Flamin' Hot.